designjunction ✕ Tala
British lighting brand Tala will be launching three product ranges exclusively at designjunction this year as well as bringing their Tala Mini Bar. We caught up with Joe Armitage, Design Director ahead of the show.
- Why Tala?
It’s a young, British LED lighting brand with a mission to create exquisite products that have a positive impact.
- What does design mean to you?
Design to me means taking problems and working them into solutions for people to appreciate. At Tala we are guided by our founding promise of Conservation Through Beauty, and we aim to accelerate the low carbon economy with thoughtful product design and transparent practices.
- Where do you work the best?
In the Tala studio, where else! Our London Fields based studio is a fun and creative hub with weekly team yoga and meditation sessions, a fully-stocked fridge, and unbeatable views across the City and East London. Pop by and say hi if you are ever in the area.
- What motivates you?
Growth and positive change.
- What does Tala bring to the design world that other brands don’t?
We have an uncompromising focus on design and sustainability.
- What is the biggest challenge facing the design industry?
Overconsumption of design with no integrity.
- What’s the most important lesson you’ve learnt so far in your career?
Get as much advice from the people you respect to help you decide on the way forward.
- What’s the one piece of advice you would give to someone starting out in the industry?
Learn how to sell (it’s an art). Understand your customers.
- What do you wish you’d designed?
The waffle machine.
- If you weren’t doing this, what would you be doing?
I’d like to have been a musician.
- What’s your biggest weakness?
Shoes from one particular brand. Meandering between design ideas. Being a perfectionist
- Why designjunction?
It’s a great platform for releasing new ideas to the industry.
Quick fire questions
- Traditional or contemporary?
A merging of the two
- Instagram or Twitter?
- Sketchbook or computer?
- Form or function?
The sweet spot.
- Early bird or night owl?
- Favourite design product?
- Best spot in London?
On the river
- Best place to get away?
- Best restaurant?
- Best hotel?
My Gran’s house