designjunction ✕ OMK 1965
We sat down with design-guru and chairman of OMK 1965, Rodney Kinsman in our latest Q&A session. Find out more about his motivations, never giving up and his vineyard in the South of France.
- Why OMK 1965?
O.M.K is the initials of the company founders, who all met at what is now Central St. Martins and founded the company immediately after graduating, to produce the designs of Rodney Kinsman.
- What does design mean to you?
- Where do you work the best?
- What motivates you?
- What does OMK 1965 bring to the design world that other brands don’t?
Longevity, both aesthetically and physically. Timelessness.
- What is the biggest challenge facing the design industry?
Looking forward instead of backwards.
- What’s the most important lesson you’ve learnt so far in your career?
Never give up.
- What’s the one piece of advice you would give to someone starting out in the industry?
Research what went before, and ensure you improve on it. Be aware of as much that has already happened as possible, and always look forwards.
- What do you wish you’d designed?
More. But I’m still going.
- If you weren’t doing this, what would you be doing?
Running my vineyard in the South of France.
- What’s your biggest weakness?
A low boredom threshold.
- Why designjunction?
It’s an ideal platform to re-launch our domestic ranges, and as a London based company we are excited to be involved in the local design industry and add to the creative energy of the city.
Quick fire questions
- Traditional or contemporary?
- Instagram or Twitter?
- Sketchbook or computer?
- Form or function?
They can’t be separated
- Early bird or night owl?
- Favourite design product?
- Best spot in London?
Fitzrovia – still as bustling as ever
- Best place to get away?
South of France
- Best restaurant?
- Best hotel?
Chedi in Oman